You no longer have to create your own models whenever you want to print something. Thanks to the recent boom in the popularity of 3D printing, millions of models are uploaded to various sites by members of the community every day. In this article, we will list some of the most popular sites with downloadable 3D models.
These webites can be identified as one of these three categories:
- 3D model databases/community sites – free 3D models that anyone can remix (change) or download.
- Marketplaces – Professionally made 3D models that you have to pay for.
- Search engines – “Google for 3D models” These sites will search a multitude of sources using your keywords.
3D model databases
3D models on these sites are free to download and use under various types of licenses. The most common license is Creative Commons.
- Thingiverse – is the biggest 3D model database in the world. It contains over two million STL files. If you want to print a popular model from a movie, a statue of your favourite character, a part for your 3D printer, a phone case etc., there is a 90% chance that you will find a 3D model of it on Thingiverse.
- YouMagine – More than 16 thousand models.
- NIH 3D Print Exchange – a community database run by the U.S. National Institute of Health.
- Free3D – More than 15 thousand models.
- GrabCAD Library – Over 4 million CAD models, not only for 3D printing but also for use in other areas.
- Zortrax Library
- NASA – Printable 3D models created by NASA of various types of spacecraft.
If their file is free or paid depends on the author, but these marketplaces mostly host paid models. The prices vary severely, because some models are drastically more complicated than others.
- XYZprinting 3D Gallery
3D model search engines
These search engines search multiple sources at once with your provided keywords. However, they only search a fine selection of websites.
If you still haven’t found the 3D model you were searching for, we will gladly create one for you.
This post was written by Tomas